Xentales

Talk about stuff, and if you must, about Xenimus
It is currently 10 Dec 2019 16:53

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2019 14:41 

Kimui wrote:
Where did you get the old models? Ya dont gotta share if you dont want but f- I want old scimmys.

I am not sure where he got them from, but archive.org has been archiving old xenimus pages for nearly 20 years now. This includes old installers as well.

Just go here: http://web.archive.org/web/*/xenimus.com

Use the calendar to find a date way in the past and then try to download one of the xenimus installers from that time. Then you can just install it and have access to all the old files.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2019 15:20 

I managed to aquire them from another project. I might end up replacing them at some point though so I can market the game outside this community and avoid problems from EJ. But that won't be till much further into development, we'll see.

Constitution wrote:
Kimui wrote:
Where did you get the old models? Ya dont gotta share if you dont want but f- I want old scimmys.

I am not sure where he got them from, but archive.org has been archiving old xenimus pages for nearly 20 years now. This includes old installers as well.

Just go here: http://web.archive.org/web/*/xenimus.com

Use the calendar to find a date way in the past and then try to download one of the xenimus installers from that time. Then you can just install it and have access to all the old files.

Yeah you can download the old files and the models are available but they are in EJ's custom MDJ format so they would have to be converted.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019 03:54 

10 player connections made. My single computer couldn't handle much more. Still working through converting everything to work properly on a network but it's getting there.
https://files.catbox.moe/31zbvx.png

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2019 17:25 

I assume you re-implemented everything to match Xenimus exactly?

I've always wondered, what's the deal with the camera in Xenimus?

Is it an ortographic camera at 45 degrees standard, 90 degrees when you press "v"?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2019 11:09 

Street Fighter wrote:
I assume you re-implemented everything to match Xenimus exactly?

I've always wondered, what's the deal with the camera in Xenimus?

Is it an ortographic camera at 45 degrees standard, 90 degrees when you press "v"?

A lot of things will be similar, but a lot of things will be different. I don't care to copy everything exact. The goal is to create a better game.

No the camera uses a perspective projection matrix. Similar to the 2nd example on this page https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReferenc ... atrix.html

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2019 08:00 

You mentioned not knowing what formula EJ used for stats......

https://github.com/MartinMReed/xenimus-calc-cplusplus/blob/master/src/calculator.h

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2019 11:30 

Anyway I can donate?

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2019 16:55 

Halloween wrote:
You mentioned not knowing what formula EJ used for stats......

https://github.com/MartinMReed/xenimus-calc-cplusplus/blob/master/src/calculator.h

Oh wow I remember this! Awesome work man. You figured those equations out on your own?. Impressive. Great timing too as I have started reworking player stats with networked play in mind. I'll implement these calculations tonight or tomorrow thank you.

HouseCheek wrote:
Anyway I can donate?

I appreciate wanting to support the project that's really motivating. But no not at this time. While using EJs assets I think it's best to play it safe and see how things unfold first. Once the game is online and I have an idea of servers costs and stuff I will might revisit the idea, we'll see. Thank you :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019 23:31 

Character(s): No Longer Playing
hows life man?

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019 10:39 

any cool updates in the past month?

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2019 20:25 

Character(s): Syphrux
Hope this didn't die, I'd love to get to play Old School Xen just one more time, and this seems like the closest we'll ever get.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2019 08:53 

WoW classic is close. I'm starting to believe EJ based a lot of things on WoW classic.

From minor/tiron/medius etc progression of spells...

To "adept" and "magus" prevalence...

To death in PVP being really annoying... even costly...

Hats, horses, etc. look like Xenimus

The game is annoyingly hard making successes feel more significant.

Griefing is possible, but not terribly prevalent. That just shows how PVP has an impact on every situation and you're constantly in danger. Unlike Xenimus it's not F12 to revive exactly where you died. You have two choices to get out of your corpse being camped. Respawn several meters away and try to run, or spawn at the ghost at the cost of your durability (and repairing costs your gold so it's tedious).

Dungeons and named mobs remind me of Xenimus.

The timeframe adds up that EJ could have been inspired by vanilla WoW. WoW Classic is based on 2004-2005, and that's the peak of Xenimus before the great downfall (A Cataclysm if you will? The same one that ended WoW lol)

Good vs Evil is such a rip off of Alliance vs Horde too...

Raids in Xenimus are EJ's failed attempt to emulate the dungeons and raids in WoW.

XenimusFP with horses was a lot closer, but ultimately EJ's hybrid of FP/not FP in current Xenimus is another thing that I feel is ripped from WoW.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2019 22:09 
I don't think I'm very good at this

Character(s): Doffenfan186
Street Fighter wrote:
WoW classic is close. I'm starting to believe EJ based a lot of things on WoW classic.

Nope.

Quote:
From minor/tiron/medius etc progression of spells...

Not a feature of WoW...

Quote:
To "adept" and "magus" prevalence...

Not really a feature of wow except a name of specific mobs

Quote:
Hats, horses, etc. look like Xenimus

Hats/horses etc are based on medievil/traditional wizard equipment in both Xen and WoW. Neither are original in any way.

Quote:
Dungeons and named mobs remind me of Xenimus.

A feature of early MUDs, before WoW was even a twinkle in anyones eye.

Quote:
The timeframe adds up that EJ could have been inspired by vanilla WoW. WoW Classic is based on 2004-2005, and that's the peak of Xenimus before the great downfall (A Cataclysm if you will? The same one that ended WoW lol)

But ALL of the features you claim are the same were in Xenimus before WoW was released, most by around 6 years...

Quote:
Good vs Evil is such a rip off of Alliance vs Horde too...

This is prevalent in practically every piece of fantasy media from Tolkein onwards.

Quote:
Raids in Xenimus are EJ's failed attempt to emulate the dungeons and raids in WoW.

Raids existed in a bunch of games pre-wow.

Quote:
XenimusFP with horses was a lot closer, but ultimately EJ's hybrid of FP/not FP in current Xenimus is another thing that I feel is ripped from WoW.

It's a natural progression of the engine.

Like, I get it, they fill a kinda similar niche, but to say EJ in any way ripped off WoW is just crazy. The only similarity is that they're both based on a tolkein-esque world and the monsters that come along with that etc. It's generic fantasy tropes.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2019 19:04 

Hey guys. I've done a lot of work on the game recently. I redid the combat and it's now a lot more smooth and reliable. Combat between
enemies, NPCs, and other players is now possible. Only sqs will be safe. I like the old alignment system of xen before jeloc. I will probably put it something like that but
make it better. Maybe a harsh penalty for the worst of gankers. Mechanically things are starting to feel good. I need to add more spells
to create unique classes. Also at this point world design needs a lot of focus. I'll keep you guys posted. Let me know of any questions or cool features you'd like to see in the game.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2019 20:39 

Never used the words "ripped off", put down your pitchfork. It was a simple comparison.

Quote:
Not a feature of WoW...

You start with Lesser then increment. Or other skills have rank1, rank2, etc. progressions. It's the same spell, but you get new versions of it and can cast old versions of it. Not many games do this. It's pretty unique to Xenimus and WoW.

Quote:
"This is prevalent in practically every piece of fantasy media from Tolkein onwards."

Regarding GvE... very few games pull this off the way Xen and WoW do with separate continents, shared quest lines, etc.

Xenimus FP even had a ship to take you between good an evil. It's the most blatantly cloned WoW feature and also lines up with being not in vanilla Xenimus, but added years later.

Quote:
But ALL of the features you claim are the same were in Xenimus before WoW was released, most by around 6 years...

• GvE was not in Xenimus on release.
  • Minor, Tiron was not.
  • Xenimus FP was not a thing in 1999 ("6 years before Wow").
  • Horses in Xenimus was not a thing on release.
  • Magus were not in Xenimus until much later than release.

Most of what I talk about was not in Xenimus on release and did not predate WoW.

I never once said EJ "Ripped" this stuff off. Every game is inspired by others.

Last edited by Street Fighter on 11 Oct 2019 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2019 08:47 

Added bubble https://files.catbox.moe/ckz9hv.png

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2019 13:02 

Astrix wrote:

nice, keep up the good work.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2019 00:37 

Spent a lot of time getting things working right between multiple players. Here's how it's looking currently.

https://streamable.com/4fqyk

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2019 10:45 

Looks great! Now that you've got portals working, have you done insta port as well? Also that dungeon you were showing off looks pretty hard lol.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2019 11:57 

Constitution wrote:
Looks great! Now that you've got portals working, have you done insta port as well? Also that dungeon you were showing off looks pretty hard lol.

Yeah port is in the game. Took some time to recreate the xen portal effect but it's nearly identical. No fast port yet but that will come. Now that I can port around I've started expanding and shaping the world. I'm making an original map but inspired by xen of course. Yeah I made that area pretty difficult for testing purposes. Mainly to test enemy caster AI. Stay tuned ! :)

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2019 23:54 

:)

Last edited by Astrix on 20 Oct 2019 23:55, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2019 23:55 

There's evil afoot

https://files.catbox.moe/5q681t.png

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019 08:42 

Already way cooler effects than anything EJ's pulled off in X1 or X2.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2019 19:30 

This is absolutely incredible...

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2019 22:56 
Ohomo Way!

Character(s): Hentai (XPS)
So can't wait to try this :P

Kielz wrote:
I f- love you.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019 14:34 

Character(s): Weed wiz
This looks good. Curious what engine you are using and what language?
If you are looking for help or just want to chat in general i'd be happy to contribute. been writing in C# now for about 6-7 years F# for 2 and have a good understanding of game design, 3D virtual environments and unity and I have a good understanding of the Xenimus client. I played with UE4 briefly but my C++ isn't as strong and i dn't like the blueprints. I think looking at the particle effects you are using unity? I think i could really be of help. I have myself done something similar before though never got the networking as i liked it. Probably didn't help that i attempted to create my own TCP back-end server to handle the communications. Though I did succeed but it was buggy as hell and i just kinda got bored and never continued. I probably should of just used some out-of the box solution.

Do you have a git repository for this project? I think you should start your own website and facebook page to update on this. You will get alot more attention than here...

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2019 17:29 

Hey guys thank you for your all your comments. They encourage me more than you know.

Quote:
This looks good. Curious what engine you are using and what language?
If you are looking for help or just want to chat in general i'd be happy to contribute. been writing in C# now for about 6-7 years F# for 2 and have a good understanding of game design, 3D virtual environments and unity and I have a good understanding of the Xenimus client. I played with UE4 briefly but my C++ isn't as strong and i dn't like the blueprints. I think looking at the particle effects you are using unity? I think i could really be of help. I have myself done something similar before though never got the networking as i liked it. Probably didn't help that i attempted to create my own TCP back-end server to handle the communications. Though I did succeed but it was buggy as hell and i just kinda got bored and never continued. I probably should of just used some out-of the box solution.

Do you have a git repository for this project? I think you should start your own website and facebook page to update on this. You will get alot more attention than here...

Thank you. I am using Unity 2018.4. A website and forum will come in time. I consider the game in it's infancy right now so it's not top priority. I want it to progress more before I "go public" so right now this dark corner of the web works. I appreciate your offer to help out. Currently I'm not seeking help with anything programming related. If anyone here is an artist/3d modeler and would like to help that would be fantastic. I'd love to keep using EJs models but If I want this game to be successful I will have to replace them at some point, or else we'd be stuck on this dark corner of the web just to avoid any chance of legal threat. I'd aim for a similar art style. I do need help though. I started working on in game tools to make creating the world easier and I've thought about making a map maker. This sprung up an idea to allow base building in the game, non-instanced player housing located on the game map. This sprung up another idea to allow raids on player bases where players could infiltrate other player's bases and storage vaults and steal items (maybe have a storage merch with limited space to store your most valued items). Which sprung up another idea of each city having a castle that could be taken over, which would give you some control of the city and it's guards/merchants (so finding a storage merchant isn't always a sure thing, they could be hostile towards you. That would be the trade off of storing in your base vs a storage merch). I want this game to be different and focus heavily of pvp. Not for the faint of heart. I need ideas to accomplish that and to set it apart from anything else on the market (which isnt hard and why I started this project. Tired of cookie-cutter games afraid to try something different. This is EJs main problem, he aspires to be cookie cutter). None of the previous ideas are set in stone, but I do like the idea of players being able to build things in the world space. I also need ideas on classes and spells and other mechanics. Let me know what you guys think.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2019 06:59 

All your ideas sound gd and its great to keep coming up with them though personally my priority would be ironing out those physics and particle effects. It's getting there but it all looks a bit flimsy if you get me. Furthermore i'm fairly certain EJ doesn't have any copywrite claims to those models as they were purchased from a 3rd party. Meaning the 3rd party has copywrite claims to them (not EJ). Furthermore its not illegal to create a game in xenimus's likeness (otherwise every WoW rip-off woulda been sued by now). What Andy did was completely different, he hacked and reversed engineered the game and redirected the client to his own server then released it. That's like copying someones book and changing a few words vs Writing your own book using the first as inspiration(what you are doing). You are fully in your rights to publish and create this game even with the models unless presented with proof of copy-write breach (which i'm fairly positive EJ doesn't have) of the models. I own a good number of assets from the time I worked on untiy for about a year and a half as part a freelancer project with a small team.

Also i wouldn't create a forum. Just a website and then give people the ability to comment.
A forum can actually kill a game.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2019 07:07 

Also i'm sure the old XPS volucris models are around..... I'll have a look.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2019 10:38 

ILoveXenlua wrote:
All your ideas sound gd and its great to keep coming up with them though personally my priority would be ironing out those physics and particle effects. It's getting there but it all looks a bit flimsy if you get me. Furthermore i'm fairly certain EJ doesn't have any copywrite claims to those models as they were purchased from a 3rd party. Meaning the 3rd party has copywrite claims to them (not EJ). Furthermore its not illegal to create a game in xenimus's likeness (otherwise every WoW rip-off woulda been sued by now). What Andy did was completely different, he hacked and reversed engineered the game and redirected the client to his own server then released it. That's like copying someones book and changing a few words vs Writing your own book using the first as inspiration(what you are doing). You are fully in your rights to publish and create this game even with the models unless presented with proof of copy-write breach (which i'm fairly positive EJ doesn't have) of the models. I own a good number of assets from the time I worked on untiy for about a year and a half as part a freelancer project with a small team.

Also i wouldn't create a forum. Just a website and then give people the ability to comment.
A forum can actually kill a game.

Yeah a lot of things need polish or reworks. My goal is just to get everything working first, and I am pretty much there which is why I am starting focus more on world design. Making everything look better will come in time. At the moment graphics are at the bottom of my priority list and if I have to launch the game using EJs models I will. Working with these models is difficult though because I am limited to using and animating them inside unity. We'll see what happens.

Shitty message boards kill games. Voicing your opinion and getting deleted kills games (looking at you EJ). A free and open message board is vital imo.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2019 10:23 

EJ didn't even copyright Xenimus until after 2008/2009. He officially did it to put an end to one of the sex offenders register iterations.

I would bet any of the original models he's probably lost any information regarding whether he owns them or not. The original models/music/etc. Though the original credits seemed to imply he had a 3d modeler help him?

I wouldn't try to use the modern versions of models (And who would want to anyway? They don't mix with Xenimus and look ugly).

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019 17:48 

Street Fighter wrote:
EJ didn't even copyright Xenimus until after 2008/2009. He officially did it to put an end to one of the sex offenders register iterations.

I would bet any of the original models he's probably lost any information regarding whether he owns them or not. The original models/music/etc. Though the original credits seemed to imply he had a 3d modeler help him?

I wouldn't try to use the modern versions of models (And who would want to anyway? They don't mix with Xenimus and look ugly).

AFAIK he bought them as a "pack" from a 3d designer. they were also available on his website for a fee..

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2019 05:42 

Character(s): Chief
looks awesome, let me know if i can help test