Xentales

Talk about stuff, and if you must, about Xenimus
It is currently 26 Aug 2019 01:32

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006 17:58 
Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006 18:01 
Its still the same game. You would still have to go through the pointless grinding level after level after level though =/

And sorry Karl, I am not meaning to take away from your idea, but I think everyone has this huge expectation that just because you are reverting Xen that it is going to be awesome. When infact, what people miss the most, isnt the spell update, or anything like that, its the excitement. Nowadays, everyone knows basically everything about the game. There is nothing new.

If you are bringing back things like pre-spell update, will you be bringing back other things? Like Sq beaming? Dropping all of your gear? Things like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006 18:14 
I don't like this good vs evil shit really. I love scallions, tho. Most especially scallion pallys

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006 19:29 
you should make a seprete server with insane drops and exp and id pay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006 19:43 
<font color="aa0000">and you should make a separate thread or maybe a new forum for people to post suggestions and argue about what game rules to use. lolz

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006 19:53 
Squeak wrote:
If you are bringing back things like pre-spell update, will you be bringing back other things? Like Sq beaming? Dropping all of your gear? Things like that.

i would hope so =/ it would be basically the same game as now without it except everyone would be a cleric with beam

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006 20:28 
Okay, so here's my logic behind this.

Problem: Making a game is hard. It requires a lot of thought about what should happen, how things work, game mechanics, etc.
Solution: Copy an existing game. All the hard stuff is done for you--just figure out how to make the same thing someone else has done, and you won't waste your time aiming too high.
What I'm doing: Copying the layout of the menus, the camera and the game's "feel".

Problem: Games require a lot of content (textures, models, etc.)
Solution: Use existing content until your own can be developed.
What I'm doing: Copying Xen's stuff. It won't be released this way, so I won't be breaking any copyright laws. I just need to use them as a "jumping-off point" so to speak.

Now, for more Xenimus-specific stuff:

Let me say, firstly: This game will not be finished this year. If this breaks your interest, I'm truly sorry, but better I say it now than later. In fact, while I'm at it, I might as well say it may never get finished. This is a strictly a *hobby* for me--I do it because it's fun. Primarily, I'm studying to become a Mechanical Engineer at Cornell University, I play Riff-Raff in the Rocky Horror Picture Show and I'm on a project team that is flying an autopiloted aircraft for 24 hours without refueling. Those responsibilities come first.

So with that off my chest, here's what I plan to do:

*Bring back elements of Xenimus I thought made it fun. To create a fun experience, players must have a sense of personal involvement in the game, and think that their actions significantly affect their experience (their skill as a player has a strong tie to their power in the game). This means that the game will be FAST--no spell delays, no "freeze" skill or whatever the hell that is. YOU will be responsible for your items. No magic bags. Items drop (maybe all?) when you die. The SQ reverses damage.
* Make improvements on the game that don't require basic restructuring. A very good example of this: I WILL NOT USE THE XENIMUS MAP. Everything will have to be rediscovered. Most things will be renamed after it is functioning, so that I don't infringe on EJ's intellectual property.

Another very good example: adding new items. This is NOT as hard as EJ finds it to be--it just requires that one have a certain creativity, which actually isn't as easy as just coding some new skill. It requires balancing and testing to see if it's too powerful, etc. Think about when blood rapiers were added to the game--practically every other weapon for levels 12-20 were made worthless overnight.

If anyone read all that, I'll be impressed. The gist of it is that I'm making Xenimus, but I want to bring back that feeling of exploration, camaraderie, alliance and excitement that we all remember made the game so much fun in its day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006 20:50 
I read it all, but I think you are making a couple of mistakes.

It seems you WILL be bringing back SQ Dmg, does this include being able to damage people who are OFF sq, when you are ON sq? Namely, "Sq beaming"?

It would be a mistake to bring this back AS WELL as the spell update.

The thing about the pre-spell update game was this. I could make a level 12, and just go pure intel, and he would the same beam dmg, as most level 20's who were slightly more balanced, as we all had the same beam, and it was all stat based and not level based.

It would just create an era of Sq hugging.

Taking out bags is genius, and I have always said this. Keep redo's, but make them quite rare. Dropping all items would be good, but its pointless if you are just going to make the drops insanely good.

I dont mean to critise as much as over constructive advice, all of this is, ofc, based on my own thoughts and feelings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006 21:14 
i think bags should stay but they should be VERY rare. like rare as spirite. cause itd be gay having like all omni and losing it everytime you die. then people wouldnt leave the sq lol

Post subject: ..
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2006 03:56 
Power to you Karl, as opposed to the many misguided attempts to recreate xen over the past few years, you're actually going out of your way to try and do it. Even if this doesn't work out, at least you're doing more than anyone else ever has lol.

Also, I would suggest that people wait a little while before making distinct requests and such, seeing as he IS dealing with a whole lot at his own expense without any outside help. Worry about bags and beams when this project is further along lol...

If old xen were to come back...hmm...nope, still content with schoolwork lol. Just wanted to say that this is awesome of Karl, and people should be patient at the least, or try to help out a little on their own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2006 10:18 
Here are the latest pictures from the project.

I've been working on the in-game stuff, and the map is working. I've implemented the "55-style" .MDJ loading routine so I can load scenery (like this wonderful rock).

What you can't see is that the map scrolls perfectly. Also, I have coded all of the item/equipment/inventory stuff and completed the properties for each type of weapon & armor. Oh yeah, and the stats work, too.

I'm still having trouble loading animated meshes. If anyone has experience with this I'd love a few pointers.

P.S. It looks to me like the rock is a bit too tall for its size...am I right? Is it even the right size?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2006 11:09 
woow looks awesome to me!!!!!! keep the good work going Very Happy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2006 04:24 
Hey, don't worry about it. First off, this game is original, so it'll help a little more to keep EJ off your back. Second - weren't those supposed to be mountains in the first place or somethin'? lol

Looks great, dude!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2006 15:41 
Holy f-, its come along way. Good work! I'm behind this 100%, if it goes through to being final you have atlas' support (i'd probably just revert the site back to an old update)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2006 23:10 

dude how long ago was this started?

and who brought it back to the top of the list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2006 20:02 
wow this is goin along fast! when do you think a demo might be available. i know itll take long but im just curious

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2006 15:17 
this type of posts get up like atleast once a year.

last time it didnt happen anything, im guessing this wont happen either. not that its a good idea, but im not getting my hopes up

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2006 16:04 

way to bring out hopes down!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2006 16:55 
Torres wrote:
this type of posts get up like atleast once a year.

last time it didnt happen anything, im guessing this wont happen either. not that its a good idea, but im not getting my hopes up

ya but noone has ever got this far. this guy has gone beyond just talking about it and seems to actually be doing it.

Post subject: IMAGES UPDATE
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2006 00:54 
I'm changing the way I'm going to reply to this topic. I'm going to make replies in a big batch when I do an image update (as now), then follow them with thumbnails of the screenshots so I don't kill the ability of people with slow connections to read the posts.

So here we go:

Tenacious D and Torres~ It won't be finished for a while. To quote myself, it may never get done, but seeing how giddy you guys get when I post something makes it worthwhile Smile

Volcomboy99~ I began working on this project in earnest approximately five weeks ago.

Stredler~ I am using Microsoft DirectX 9.0c April 2006 Update

Specx5, Stredler, Ashlar and CanadaGradeEh~ Thanks for your support Smile

Here are the newest images. I'm especially proud of the last few...they look familiar, no?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2006 11:08 
looks good. Look forward to seeing more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2006 13:06 

just wondering, what is different about your version of xen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2006 13:29 
From the few posts that I have read I gathered that it will be more like old xenimus...before all of the spell updates etc. What I would like to see(correct me if this has already been mentioned) is old xenimus rules such as stat calculations, square damage etc. mixed in with new gear and possibly incentives for pvp. It would also be cool to have an increased drops and exp modifier so as not to have to go through all of the monotony of leveling a character again(maybe 5-10x each?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2006 16:52 
you should set up a paypal button. so we can donate to this project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2006 16:53 
Or maybe he can just give you his paypal address and you can send him your money, since i doubt no one other than you is going to give him anything...yet anyways...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2006 16:58 

Character(s): Marilyn Manson, Cochise

just looking at that, makes me wanna put some money into this project

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2006 18:16 
ditto

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2006 18:51 
Do you have the source hosted somewhere? Since this is an open source project, I was hoping I'd be able to see it in its present state.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2006 19:03 
Karl, I appreciate everything you are doing here, but can't we use this Xen re-make as an oppurunity to up the graphic quality a bit? atleast get some higher resolution textures huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2006 19:08 
let him make old xenimus then as a community we could do some graphic update incarnations. I think the point of this is to reinstate the classic version of this game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2006 19:14 
ah, sounds good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2006 13:49 
ZeeMox~ This is not currently an open-source project. To make it one would violate EJ's intellectual property, as it directly uses HIS content in the game. Once content issues are resolved I'll consider making it one.

Tenacious D, Mandoran, Marilyn Manson, darkenedsoul~ Although I'm really not expecting anything, on the long shot this project continues at its current pace, I'm considering not getting a job next semester so I can work on it. Any help would keep a college student fed :) My paypal address is karlgluck@gmail.com

ShaneKorte~I have taken your comments to heart and began upgrading the graphics style to make use of vertex shader version 1.1. This will allow me to do some really cool effects, but some people might not be able to run the game.

And now, for everyon'e favourite part: the updates to the project!!!

I have successfully decoded all of the animated MDJ meshes.

Yes, you heard me. EJ's MDJ format is now almost completely understood. There are a few things that still elude me, but I've loaded the chicken and made it flap/peck/walk/etc. I was really excited :o)

On the downside, the format is ARCHAIC beyond all belief, and basically useless except for the data it contains. This means I'm going to write an interpreter to convert MDJ models into a format I can actually use.

Now, I was thinking about how to do this last night, and I deduced that I'm going to have to use vertex shaders. Although shaders are well supported in software (and are BLAZINGLY fast in hardware), not 100% of computers will support them. If they don't support it in hardware, software mode will be slow if the processor speed is < 800 MHz.

That said, I've made a VERY simple program with a funny bouncing triangle thing to test whether or not the game will run on your computer if I used VS11.

If you run it, please post (a) whether or not it works and (b) the number after "max vertex shader constants" I completely understand if you don't want to run the program (especially because of its suspicious size...only 9KB), but I give you my word it's just a test utility to let me get a better idea of the community's hardware capabilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2006 13:58 

Nothing says "BOOYA!" like a Pecking Chicken in Xenimus Very Happy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2006 14:23 

If this game really does get released, Id be worried about the following well-known incidences we have today:

- Hackers
- Hackers
- King of Fear
- Plateau
- Mr.Pixle Duster
- E.J. and his Copyright on Xenimus

Unless the 3 names enlisted get I.P. Banned Very Happy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2006 16:20 
ran fine, 8192.
i think your safe assuming atleast 1ghz+ computers. anything below that is indeed useless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2006 16:23 
Karl G. wrote:
Goatse~ Once content issues are resolved I'll consider making it one.

If you're referring to the models and textures then simply make your own or download some for free. That's what EJ did with a lot of his. Hell, he BOUGHT a lot of the models for creatures.

Oh, you're using the mdj files--yuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2006 21:49 
works fine on mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2006 22:13 
karl for me it said the application failed because "d3dx0_30.dll" was not found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2006 11:19 
Marko - Do you have the latest version of DirectX? Try downloading the update:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2006 11:56 
anything developed under the GPL simply protects you from any copyright infringement as it places you under a creative commons license with no profit and the source code is out in the open.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next