Xentales

Talk about stuff, and if you must, about Xenimus
It is currently 19 Dec 2018 08:29

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006 19:34 
i know this topic is old but im just wonderin if this is still happening. Lol KoF will pay you 5 dollars per mouth! Razz

Post subject: Re: heh
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006 19:55 
Diplomacy wrote:
Tenacious D wrote:
when u think you can have a beta ready? i know it will take long but just wondering.

maybe you should spell xen diffrently? lol like Zenimus or Xenimis Razz

Can you just stop posting already? I've tried to hold myself back but damn dude youare like another f- Zappy. Let him do his work, let him do his own thing and shut the hell up.

why have i ever done shit like that!? i get blamed for every thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006 20:18 
Yes, this project is still on my agenda; however, I cannot do it alone at this moment and have received no support for it so I'm going to hold off until the winter to start doing serious work. I'm taking 21 credits of classes and I'm also cast as Riff-Raff in a production RHPS so my time is limited.

Here's some more stuff to look at. Yes, they are fairly mundane (read: boring) and ugly; however, I have all the code laid out to create these screens and it is very simple.

Character Creation

Server Screen

Account

Login

Credits

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006 20:23 
thats insane dood , any way i can help out?? i cant program really atm, but im goin to college for that so ... talk to me in 6 years and ill help you program Razz

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006 23:56 
Cool, you can pick where you spawn... but... but... Wheres Iterum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006 00:05 
and the pk town...uhh...shit...i forgot its name! damnit! i thought of it when i started posting...

i know its not a REAL town, but ej didnt make full use of it imo, it could have made a real difference to the game, instead it hasnt been used for years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006 00:17 
sercen? uhm.. something like that. That was a lonely, depressing place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006 00:41 
solace? sol...something

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006 01:29 
I HATED spawning there without gas or trans. OH EM GEE, FURIOUS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006 08:30 
scelest. I forgot about Iterum--it's been a while since I've played.

Could anyone post pictures of the stats screen and all of the other in-game fullscreen menus for me to reference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006 17:35 
id honestly pay 10$ per month for pre spell update xen

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006 20:37 
yessssssssssssssssssssssss

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006 21:04 
Looks very nice so far, two thumbs way up to you sir.

Post subject: Old Xenimus
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006 21:04 
Well im about to go to california for some colleging and im majoring in computer programming and also computer graphics so i know a little bit im willing to help if this thing gets started i have a few friends who use to play:

Wendell Borton
Lord Zulu
Fingalis
Tom Bombadil
Blue Dragon

most of which know a thing or two about c# and C++

i know they would all come back if the old xen was back up thats the main reason most of them quit

let me know if this gets really started

IM me on aol @ harharsaidthecar

Peace Bros

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006 21:18 
i hope that u get that working cause ill be willing to pay 4 that verson then ejs verson

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006 21:40 
I'm starting to give this project a serious thought.

At first I blew it off like every other "lets make a game" thread, but it looked like it was picking up steam for awhile. Pretty soon I'll know how to do graphics and stuff from my Computer Graphics course, and also a large-scale project organization from software engineering.

I know c++ and I started learning c# a few weeks ago and it's such a beautiful language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2006 00:19 
The only way you could ever forget about iterum is if you never had to walk from t1 to t3. Like, before there were port merchants and fast gas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2006 00:31 
i think this post has been derailed but i have an old copy of xenimus v1.14 somewhere on my computer and id be willing to send it to whoever is leading this shindig. also, for coding, there's a program called blitzbasic (www.blitzbasic.com) that is extremely easy to learn/use and can be integrated with other languages..the compiler is as fast as c++.

id love to participate in this project, and would be willing to host and create a .com website on which we could make a worklog and upload files etc. etc.

please pm me if anyone is serious about this

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2006 20:41 
Just to let everyone know, this project is not dead.

I finished decoding the simple-form Xenimus .MDJ model format and (most of) the .POS animation files today. Just for fun I made plants three times as tall as a person and made chickens spin around every time they pecked....I am going to write a model viewer soon, just to work out any bugs.

Everything until the point of login is complete except for the "directions" page on the main menu, which shouldnt matter much at this point. I have finished the Xenimus view-mode projection transformations (just know that they are a real #$%! to figure out...ever notice that things that are further away dont diverge; the lines are straight and parallel both vertically and horizontally...anyway, I digress)

The server and gameplay still need to be coded, but it might take a while as I have a lot of homework.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2006 20:59 

Character(s): XPS - Suntzu
im only 13 so i cant really help out. but id definitly be 1 of the first players back lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2006 21:54 
Karl G. wrote:
Just to let everyone know, this project is not dead.

I finished decoding the simple-form Xenimus .MDJ model format and (most of) the .POS animation files today. Just for fun I made plants three times as tall as a person and made chickens spin around every time they pecked....I am going to write a model viewer soon, just to work out any bugs.

Everything until the point of login is complete except for the "directions" page on the main menu, which shouldnt matter much at this point. I have finished the Xenimus view-mode projection transformations (just know that they are a real #$%! to figure out...ever notice that things that are further away dont diverge; the lines are straight and parallel both vertically and horizontally...anyway, I digress)

The server and gameplay still need to be coded, but it might take a while as I have a lot of homework.

Ej has yet to discover this thing that was discovered hundreds of years ago called "perspective"

heheh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006 00:13 
Geezmo wrote:
May I propose a strike? Having his servers completely empty for a week or two might just change how he runs things, and realize that without players there is no game.

No players = no game.

Are you actually believing that there wouldn't be a couple of scabs who logged in to take advantage of the emptiness of DS? Man, I'd go nuts knowing that maybe 4 players are logged on all over the mage spots (calv pit, hd's, etc). That could never work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006 02:44 
lol, i hope he completes it... this shit will own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006 08:19 
yay, that has to be the most advanced xenimus-clone-project, keep up the good job there man. :0

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006 10:26 
sounds good . Any pics of the new stuff you did?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006 11:53 

looking FREAKY nice

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006 12:39 
Here are screenshots of what I actually have that actually works and runs. The only thing it can't do is communicate with a server.

Now, for a brief explanation before I show the pictures:

I realise that these pictures look bad. That's not the point--making them look good takes time, effort and help from people good with graphics, which I am not. What you see is not the final product, but more like its skeleton. Before you make the sleek exterior of a Lambourghini or Ferrari, the engine and transmission better work. These are the inner workings without any fancy dressing-up.

Things that will definitely change:
* The name of the project (Volucris is a working name, like Windows Longhorn was for Vista)
* Background images for the menus
* Background images for the buttons with roll-over effects
* Add a cursor (it uses the Windows cursor right now)

This is just me messing around getting the Xenimus perspective correct. This is not very impressive, but it works and has the correct scaling values. See that there are 12x12 squares on the screen? Notice that they're all exactly straight? This is identical to Xenimus's view. The tigers are just for fun. I used the gray panel to check wall heights.

This is the title screen. It is laid out exactly like the old style screen found in version 1.47C

These are pictures of character creation options. This does not bear much resembalance to the old method of character creation because (1) I can't remember how it worked and (2) I wanted to add the ability to select a starting town. Note that you can have symbols and capitalization in your name! Yay!

This is the first screen that shows up when you hit the "logon" button on the main menu. It asks for your password and, if it fails, displays the failure message until you get it right or the server boots you.

The main logon screen lets you manage your characters and works just like you think it would.

These screens show up when you hit "change password" on the main logon screen

If the password was successfully changed, this message appears

When a character is selected (see the little star next to Ecrofresia?) you can delete him by pressing the button and typing in your password as shown here:

If this fails, this message appears

This screen shows up when the account button is clicked

If you want to make a new account, hit the new account button and make up a password

To get an existing account, press the button and fill out this form
(Notice the account number? That was my original account when I first played Xen and had Ecrofresia)

If you typed the wrong password or had an invalid account number, this account could not be retrieved.

This screen appears when selecting a server

When you exit the game, the mandatory credits appear

Added after 16 minutes:

I forgot one. This is a picture of me modifying the Xenimus models (just to show that i can). Look at the height of the grass and the flames!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006 13:59 
looking good, keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006 14:42 
wow this sounds exiting keep going man you would be the king of xenimus to me if this happend im an aussie and i have an idea why not have ds and x1 2 servers in america x2 is like europe x3 is australian x4 is england x5 is canada or something that would be really awsome for pings and btw if this were to happend i would help pay for the server

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006 15:15 
I will pay monthly for Karl G's game.

Keep it up and avoid using anything EJ can slap you with a lawsuit for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006 15:38 
are the servers really going to have only a 30/50 capacity? if it catches on probably more people then that would play.

and karl since i see your actually serious about this, im skilled in photoshop and will do graphics and texture for you if you need, just message me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006 16:14 
again whow.
you should (unlike ej) really think about stuff that others could do for you to improve the process.

you could make a "to-do" list and post it here, i bet there are more useful helping hands like marko around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006 16:36 

WAY TO GO KARL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006 10:42 
hooooooooooooooolyyyyyyyyy shit

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006 15:34 

what are you charging for this Karl?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006 17:09 
Well, there isn't anything to play yet, so I don't know. It will be cost to me per month (for servers and development) divided by the expected number of players. It will definitely start out being free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006 17:45 
I have a question.

How do you expect to maintain this version of xen when you have studies, a social life, and everything else going on?

Also, when you factor in that when it becomes pay to play, which it will have to in order to maintain the servers, how do you plan on handling the finances and such?

I just can't see any inscentive to play this version over traditional Xen except going back to the spell update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006 17:49 
Well, to be honest I don't have a plan. But, unlike EJ, I'm not afraid to ask for help. Also unlike EJ, I have worked with a dev team before and I'm sure we'll figure something out.

I'm not making this to be an awesomely professional thing or even to make a profit...it's a hobby. Hence no timeframe for release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006 17:53 
My incentive to play this would be a Scallion cleric and a scallion pally.

Oh, when this thing starts up ready to play, I'll make a nice little donation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006 17:56 
Are you trying to tell me that you would play Xen (Which is what it is going to be) simply to be a scally cleric/pally?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next