Xentales

Talk about stuff, and if you must, about Xenimus
It is currently 26 Aug 2019 00:59

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2006 16:33 
<font color=aa0000>Good luck getting Achilles on board. Last time I talked to him he said he'd wasted enough time and energy on this game and it was time to concentrate on his career (or something to that effect). I haven't really seen him around here since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2006 16:54 
It's really for the best. Throwing time and energy in this game is pretty wasteful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2006 17:07 
ok

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2006 17:13 
wow how about you just PM him insted of posting that shit in a thread that has nothing to do with what you're asking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2006 17:19 
Ender: send me those versions, and the map maker! or upload them, please Smile Those are extremely useful.

my master Thadius: a modeler would be _obscenely_ helpful. I am sick and tired of sorting out the 3ds MAX->.x bullhonkey.

DANJR: the more items, the better! The only real limit to what we can have in the game is how much the coders are able to put in. We may have everything look like swords for a while..

is this Achilles' email? achilles1897 "at" hotmail.com

If you guys are serious about this, we need to start talking details.

Underlying technologies:
Direct3D or OpenGL?
I know Direct3D best, but respect OpenGL for its ease of use and would be willing to learn

DirectInput
I don't really see any alternatives...

How about OggVorbis for music?
I have some working code for the music component of OV. Plus, it's a free format.

Program components required for basic game

Network communication
Basically provides a link between the clients and server so that they can talk to each other.

Scene Renderer
Draws the map (including map components, like the trees), players, NPCs, monsters, and effects.

HUD Renderer (aka Graphical User Interface)
The original Xen GUI was very simple. The only thing I'd like to improve on immediately is how typing was handled; no more of that stupid lag while typing. However, I'd like to use the original Xenimus font. Anyone still got the old bitmap?

Input manager
Takes key presses from the user, passes them through the game state (is the user typing in a dialog box? are these keys the user's attempt to cast a spell?) then produces an effect, which is generally a packet to the server.

State manager
Controls the program's passing from main menu to password entry to server screen to in-game. Mostly a behind-the-scenes kinda thing.

Game State Updater
This is for the server-side. It will update everything in the world, then send out packets to the clients letting them know what just happened. Also, it will interpret packets from the clients to produce their desired effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2006 17:22 
<font color=aa0000>That's his MSN address. I'm pretty sure he doesn't use it for email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2006 18:19 
whatever you do, include some client-side prediction. Xen SUCKS on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2006 18:19 
EJ should have like an optional premium package for like $8-10 which gives access to an old school server and possibly a free respec elixir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2006 18:33 

I'm worthless for anything technical, but if you'd like any help writing a storyline, quests, or NPC dialogue, then I'm definitely game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2006 01:40 

if u need anyone to give u idea about like hunting areas and lvling place. i have alot of good ideas about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2006 02:54 

me and my friends too have lots of ideas for hunting spots, new monsters, and possibly new gear. i would be happy to help

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2006 03:07 
Lets add Nexium gear!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2006 03:44 

what would the lvl req be and what would it be like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2006 04:53 
Karl, would you mind PM'ing me your e-mail and/or MSN? It'd be nice to finally have you on MSN or atleast have a way of contacting you away from the BtR boards. It's been pretty slow over there lately, so 'Agarwaen' hasn't been very active Razz

If I can't do something like along the lines of writing for your project, the least I could do is be a cheerleader and write some fan-fiction. My friend is also working on a community site right now, which will be focused on gaming in general. I offered to be a game scout and editor for him, so I could write up a few articles on the old school project Smile

lakaiskater33@hotmail.com is my MSN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006 18:54 

so did everyone just decide to stop doing this or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006 19:13 
I hear someone was uploading all previous updates to a webspace file, that would be a great place to start on compiling the code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006 20:02 
im pretty sure this is dead now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006 21:06 
DANJR wrote:
I hear someone was uploading all previous updates to a webspace file, that would be a great place to start on compiling the code.

That was me until somone ate all my bandwith and my host deleted my website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006 21:42 

If you expect a game in under a week you're going to be disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006 22:23 
that name blows sorry. i think animus might be cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006 22:33 
I like the old menu better...

With the old backround and old music and old colors Smile

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006 22:39 
Maybe ej could put up old xenimus, and then current xenimus could be xenimus 2, like 20 years later or some shit. That way he could drasticly change xenimus 2 and we would be happy with xenimus 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006 22:44 
I also like the old menu. I like the old background, too. In fact, the old colors and cursor are exactly what I need! I even like the name Xenimus better.

Hey! No wonder why I'm trying to emulate it.

However.

Being as nobody is helping me code, or design, or create graphics, or model, I'm keeping as many things simple as I can.

No, it's not going to look exactly like the old Xenimus AT FIRST. As I said, I'm keeping things (incredibly) simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006 23:04 
Void isnt that the game you,Hallow, and Achilles was working on? With this figured in....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006 10:48 
lol how come u can see thw word XENIMUS faintly behind Volcuris Razz anyhow great to see your actually doing it ,i can maybe get ya some models if u need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006 11:49 
I can give you all the files for the oldschool stuff... it's up to you guys to get it to work though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006 11:59 
when u think you can have a beta ready? i know it will take long but just wondering.

maybe you should spell xen diffrently? lol like Zenimus or Xenimis Razz

Post subject: heh
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006 12:11 
Tenacious D wrote:
when u think you can have a beta ready? i know it will take long but just wondering.

Can you just stop posting already? I've tried to hold myself back but damn dude youare like another f- Zappy. Let him do his work, let him do his own thing and shut the hell up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006 12:27 
Guys, forget about coding a new game. Thats NEVER going to happen. You need to convince ej to put up an old skool server. Its the only way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006 12:36 
He can't. We're already past that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006 14:13 
my master Thadius wrote:

why not? Did you guys get a reply from him about it?

Post subject: Re: heh
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006 15:15 
Diplomacy wrote:
Tenacious D wrote:

Can you just stop posting already? I've tried to hold myself back but damn dude youare like another f- Zappy. Let him do his work, let him do his own thing and shut the hell up.

stfu jackass im just tryin to help

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006 15:19 
obscenity wrote:
my master Thadius wrote:

why not? Did you guys get a reply from him about it?

yeah.. its on all servers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006 16:41 
Old music was the best. Anyone have the old play.wav? before it got all gay? The one I would open in winamp and leave on loop all night while I slept. (and consequently have disturbing dreams about being eviscerated underneath the arch south of Semel.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006 17:46 
ShaneKorte wrote:
Old music was the best. Anyone have the old play.wav? before it got all gay? The one I would open in winamp and leave on loop all night while I slept. (and consequently have disturbing dreams about being eviscerated underneath the arch south of Semel.)

wow.

its time for you to go outside, buddy. jeeez.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006 19:07 
abolition wrote:
ShaneKorte wrote:

wow.

its time for you to go outside, buddy. jeeez.

Its called a joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006 20:23 
No, I actually did that. It was a very relaxing little .wav, just not when you fell asleep to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006 20:32 
<font color="aa0000">It's been years since I didn't have the music off. Was that the one with the cool oboe? The music you hear in the forest (among other places)?
We should really leave this thread underailed though, for Karl's sake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006 20:34 
EthicsGradient wrote:
<font color="aa0000">It's been years since I didn't have the music off. Was that the one with the cool oboe? The music you hear in the forest (among other places)?
We should really leave this thread underailed though, for Karl's sake.

It might have been an Oboe. But what your thinking of is exactly it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2006 03:19 

so i take it the games coming long i cant wait to pay would pay 5 dollers a mouth to play the cmon plz keep going i belive in u !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next