Xentales

Talk about stuff, and if you must, about Xenimus
It is currently 17 Dec 2017 17:32

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 10:28 
Official website: http://www.unseenstudios.com/volucris/

UPDATE July 7, 2007
The client and server are up and running. Right now, you can create characters, log into the world and walk around/chat with other people.

UPDATE May 27, 2007
This project is definitely still alive and kicking. There is a map editor coming out soon that sports all kinds of fun features--including the ability for YOU to directly edit the content of the game. This means not only can you load the Xenimus MDJ models and change how they look in the map editor, you can create models (in the .X format) and test them out in the game immediately using a simple scripting language.

UPDATE February 11, 2007
If you haven't seen it yet, there's a simple gameplay video available here:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1608692353

I'm going to be making more in the near future, as I've recently added charges and chat to the game. Go to our website for more!

Original Post
Hi everyone,

How many people would be interested in contributing to an open-source open-contribution rebuilding of the original Xenimus?

I admit it. I'm nostalgic about the old Xenimus as much as the rest of you. I don't know if it was just because it was my first online game, or just because it was so much fun...but I have a proposal, and would like to poll your interest.

At the core would need to be at least 3 strong coders (C++/DirectX/WinSock), assisted by some archivists--people to find old content and write *every* way the old system used to work, and additions to make it better. The project could start by recycling EJ's .MDJ models, but would have to have its own content--unless we got EJ's blessing--before any kind of release. So we would need map makers, modelers, and artists too.

Last edited by Karl G. on 08 Jul 2007 15:45, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 10:54 

I wouldnt mind helping, im not a STRONG coder, im still learning but I am sure I can help in diffrent ways, and it will be good for my C# knowledge...

plateau the remake wrote:
im playing xenimus 24 7 right know on my holydays u seem not to log of. soo serriouly get a job /school

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 11:07 
I forgot to mention, so I'll add it to my post. The language will most likely be C++ for the core game. That's not too different from C# but it would require some flexibility...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 11:14 
This is a very awesome plan. I hope you actually go through with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 11:51 
Karl G. wrote:
Hi everyone,

How many people would be interested in contributing to an open-source open-contribution rebuilding of the original Xenimus?

I admit it. I'm nostalgic about the old Xenimus as much as the rest of you. I don't know if it was just because it was my first online game, or just because it was so much fun...but I have a proposal, and would like to poll your interest.

At the core would need to be at least 3 strong coders (C++/DirectX/WinSock), assisted by some archivists--people to find old content and write *every* way the old system used to work, and additions to make it better. The project could start by recycling EJ's .MDJ models, but would have to have its own content--unless we got EJ's blessing--before any kind of release. So we would need map makers, modelers, and artists too.

Why don't I ask joe to release an original release server. I'm not sure he still has the original source code, however.

-Tweed

Added after 39 seconds:

I transfered back to his WoW server, so I see him just about every day even if I don't feel like calling him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 12:04 
That would kick ass Tweed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 12:10 
I really don't see this happening. Not to make fun of the Xenimus community (well actually yea kinda) but most of us are all a bunch of lay-abouts who think about doing things, not actually do them. This has been tried a few times, or at least tried to make something similar to Xenimus. People sometimes just don't realise how much work it actually is to create a game.

If you guys do this, though, that would be sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 12:16 
Lol, I fully agree Hefty. It'd be sick to let all of the new players see what they missed out on a few years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 12:19 
I assume you guys are talking Xen just before the new spell system?

-Tweed

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 12:28 
I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 12:36 
Ya, at first I thought, hmm, 50/50. Then I thought, hmm, 25y/75n. I remember arguing with him a bit after he made the change, will be a tricky sell for him.

-Tweed

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 13:11 
Yes, I would like to reconstruct Xen just before the spell system update. Of course, there would be a few balancing tweaks, but who knows!

Tweed, if you talk to EJ about releasing a server that would be great! I don't think he will, though--however, see if he would be willing to release the old source code to me. I'd be willing to sign and notarize an NDA.

Back to the topic: yeah, I know a lot of people wouldn't put the time necessary into it (I know I couldn't contribute 24/7, I'm about to go to University) but if enough people contributed frequently over a long period of time, I bet we could come up with something.

Furthermore, I have coded quite a few versions of a 3-d (DX9) online game that we could start with. I'm just not about to go and do it all myself...it's too hard!

[edit] If you are interested in helping, post in this thread or AIM/email me (QUIGATE or kwg8 :at: cornell.edu). I always forget to check PMs... Rolling Eyes

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 13:14 
i doubt ej would do it and also itd be illegal if he said no and we did it ALSO it would cost tons of money so youd probly have to charge and all which is also illegal

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 13:21 
Quote:
if he would be willing to release the old source code to me

When I was still programming, I asked him for the code for just one of his spell effects for his own website (yes, I made the ugly website that is www.xenimus.com back in like 2002, lol) so I could figure out how to make an animation that ultimately didn't go in.

And he said no.

There is absolutely no way he will ever release the source code. If I asked him, he would laugh at me.

-Tweed

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 13:25 
Ah. Oh well, I can see why he would be worried. He doesn't want people to start hacking his game like crazy.

Unfortunately, this means we would have to start from the ground up. EJ has intellectual property rights for graphics and sound, but he can't copyright the feel or gameplay.

So basically, Xenimus but not. We'd have to change the name, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 13:29 
If all you want is the original game before the spell system update, I would start an e-mail drive and just send him e-mails asking (nicely). And then when I ask him about it and he says, "ya dood, tons of people have e-mailed me about that lately" it would be a lot easier to convince him.

-Tweed

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 13:34 
yea that sounds like a good idea, this idea wil not work unless ej is the one doing it , im gonna email him and i suggest all you do to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 14:21 
Okay! Here are some email templates. Modify and send away (plus, tell people to do the same)

Template 1 wrote:
Good afternoon EJ,

Although I am impressed by your willingness to experiment with new ideas, I feel nostalgic about the way "old" Xenimus (pre-spell update) worked. I would very much appreciate the option to play on an old-rules server, with that version of the game. Even though there were more bugs and it may not look as good as your current work, I would like the opportunity to play the old version of the game.

Sincerely,

Your Name

Template 2 wrote:
Good morning EJ,

I think Xenimus has come a long way since you began coding it many years ago, but recent updates have made me think how much fun Xenimus was before the new spell update. I really liked

insert something you liked here; for example: "the variety of spells", "the awesome power of high levels", "the pace of pvp", "the unity of having one world alignment"

and would like to experience that time in Xenimus' history. Would you consider setting up the client and server for the game before the spell update?

Sincerely,

Your Name

Template 3 wrote:
Hello Mr. Thayer,

I've played Xenimus for

insert length of time here

and appreciate how hard it is to keep up with all of our (sometimes conflicting!) demands. We always want more balance in PVP, more hunting zones, more spells, skills and quests--and I know you've done your best to give us what we desire.

However, it is my opinion that Xenimus has lost your personal touch that made it so addictive. When you first started to look at a publisher, it became clear that Xenimus was no longer just your hobby. Some changes have been great! I thought your improvements in

insert a change you liked. for example: gear variety, map size, questing, hidden props, etc.

were very well received; however, I would be even more happy if you were to let us play a version of the game before the spell-system update.

I miss the old "feel" of Xenimus. There's a reason some players call it the "glory days", and, for nostalgia's sake, I would love to start a new character in that version of the game.

Sincerely,

Your Name

There ya have it. Go crazy.

edit: the grammar police almost busted my ass.

Post subject: heh
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 14:34 
Someone started this a while back, and it failed. Except I think it was a new game in general and it wouldn't work out. I was going to be one of the many artists he had set up to work on some graphics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 15:03 
I wouldn't send #1.

-Tweed

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 15:49 
Ive herad that if you just message EJ on WoW he will /ignore you, so no use getting the game just to talk tohim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 15:53 
lol. Maverick, I transfered back to that server btw.

-Tweed

Added after 22 seconds:

And uh, last night when I logged on, he actually sent a tell to me~

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 16:00 
Is EJ a 24/7 WoWer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 16:03 
Nah, but he plays a lot. But, infact just last night he got pissed about something and said, "screw it I'm going to work on xenimus."

So, he still works on it at random times of the day and night.

-Tweed

Added after 1 minutes:

I moved my horde char over to the server because I have two accounts, and I saw him in Arathi Basin the other night and was hunting him down. I pwned him good a few times.

He was like, I didn't even notice it was you until you came from the water and killed me. I'm a sneaky bitch in BGs.

-Tweed

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 16:33 
May I propose a strike? Having his servers completely empty for a week or two might just change how he runs things, and realize that without players there is no game.

No players = no game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 16:36 
Hey Karl, how's Born to Rule doing? Everyone prepping up to go back to school? heh
I love how you have yet ANOTHER site design. Make up your minds!

But yea, if anyone can build a team dedicated enough out of the Xenimus community, it's Karl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 16:38 
Geezmo wrote:
May I propose a strike? Having his servers completely empty for a week or two might just change how he runs things, and realize that without players there is no game.

No players = no game.

You've obviously confused EJ for someone who gives a f- about the players

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 16:50 
haha hey Canada! Yeah, we do. It's okay though, we're all getting ready to head to college and we've had a lot of fun with BTR. We had a few parties and played with it a lot, but I'm going to work on it more on my own now. Unseen Studios itself will be changing in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 16:57 
interesting topic, anyone onboard yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 16:57 
Marc wrote:
Geezmo wrote:

No players = no game.

You've obviously confused EJ for someone who gives a f- about the players

Maybe so, but it's still worth a shot IMO.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 17:03 
Karl, if you want to get this off the ground let me know what you need and who you need to help, I'd be interested in helping you.

Hell has anyone thought of creating a new game anyways? I know that has been brought up but that's a hella lot of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 17:12 
An open source game. That would be interesting.

-Tweed

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 17:13 
Although some people would put up a download on their own website,but it would contain some sort of virus on it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 17:14 
I been thinking about this for a while myself.

But if it was done there is no need to reinvent the wheel.

Just use one of the freely available rendering engines, ogre, irrlicht etc

I'm up for helping with whatever. My C++ isnt too hot, but my experience with programming/game engines isnt too shabby Razz

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 17:23 
I can draw, but I can't even design my own band logo because that takes something out of the box... but I can draw whatever you need me to, and I can put on a skirt, grab some pom poms and promote the project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 17:29 
what the hell.. did someone beat you to it?

submitted by Daniel Dekker, anyone know if he plays xen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 17:34 
whats that?

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 17:38 
v0id wrote:
what the hell.. did someone beat you to it?

submitted by Daniel Dekker, anyone know if he plays xen?

You can buy those skins online too I believe, so it could be just a Coincidence?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 17:42 
really? where can u buy them

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006 17:54 
see, with tweeds backup on the EJ front, and the number of (semi- in some cases)skilled programmers this could really take off.

like if you could get hallow, v0id, Achilles (if he ever surfaces again) etc on board im sure they could work out the logistics of it.

wish i knew enough to take part, but sadly my memory of old xen is lacking and my coding skills are near zero.

i hope this works in one way or another though, looks like something that could be really cool if you pull it off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next