Xentales

Talk about stuff, and if you must, about Xenimus
It is currently 14 Aug 2018 06:41

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2014 09:57 
xenimus is serious business!!1

Character(s): Don't worry about it
Just a side project since I thought it would be fun and pretty simple. The web-player link below will always be my most recent build. If I have added anything worth mentioning, I will include an update note.

MULTIPLAYER ALPHA *updated 4/2/2015*
^If nobody is hosting at the time, the 'Join Test Server' button will not show. Select 'Start Server'
*keep in mind, others will not be able to join unless you forward port 25001*

SINGLEPLAYER DEMO *older and very different version, 11/2015*

4/2/2015
-added mutha f- ZOOM! w/mouse wheel
-fixed teleporting issue on login
-made chat system better
-added fullscreen (high-resolution) toggle
-^made shit scale with it properly
-worked for a while on simple combat system + enemy pathfinding w/reasonably efficient networking (incomplete)

3/27/2015
-scrapped entire project, again
-started over
-no combat interaction, yet
-updated movement script
-fancy pants filler graphics
-authoritative item system with crafting (glitchy on floor items for non-hosts, i.e. dupes)
-nice little chat system

//2014 and older

11/14
-implemented previous level (freebie from asset store, but it's awesome)
-improved collisions so character will stop running in place
-gave enemy mobs proximity detection
-increased quantity of baddies and gave them respawn points
-added a minimap
--first implementation of multiplayer is up and running, expect some hiccups
--but for the most part it works great and i'm happy with it
--please test it out with your friends and let me know any issues you experience
**all players must close the game for the server to reset, incase mobs start to bug out on you**
*my next plan is to add exp points and a simple level/stats system for endless grinding*

11/13
-added hit effect
-added respawns and corpse decay
-fixed/improved other stuff i can't recall atm

11/10
-rebuilt project from scratch starting 2 days ago
-reworked the way collisions are detected (auto attacking)
-added "adgredi"-like spell
-added heal spell
-recreated almost everything from previous version so far, but iz mo betta!
-added hp and mp regen
-added fancy mouse cursors

10/6
-added particle effect symbolizing a spin attack
-disabled collisions with dead enemy bodies and stopped them from sliding around on ground
-stuff
*added health bars n shit*

10/5
-changed some graphics around to free ones that can be shared with a few guys i'm working with
-improved collision detection
-synced animations with attack trigger
-and a bunch of other stuff you probably won't even notice

Last edited by TomGSX on 02 Apr 2015 07:13, edited 15 times in total.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2014 16:48 
Pina Smuncher

It appears to be lacking a few things. The most important being an objective... possibly levels or monsters that die lol.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2014 20:33 

Lol, yea. I just started it last night. Will take a little bit of time to get that stuff worked in, right now I'm just trying to make the interface "feel" like Xen.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014 02:30 
Pina Smuncher

ah ok that makes more sense then. I wasn't sure what the goal or level of work put in was. I went and had a little look and was like wow... there isn't anything here but a very small map. Interface feels a lot like xen if trans didn't have the weird effect after it the spell would look more natural. Sorry I was being a little critical I just wasn't sure where you were at on all this lol. I wish I could find a game similar to xen that the dev had any idea what was going on or how to make / manage a decent game. For some reason to me it seems like the better the graphics are the slower paced the game is. I could never get into WOW or LOL or any of those. I didn't mind D2, but after everything I read on D3 I didn't even spend the time to play it. Any more I just casually game but I would love for something to hook me into grinding and playing hard core for a while lol.

Sorry that got a little off topic. The good news is this is FFA lol

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014 14:42 

Haha, it's all good. I managed to play LoL for a while - but certainly hate WoW for many reasons. D2 was awesome, D3 was trash. I'll be working on this project pretty often, so feel free to give feedback about any new implementations or suggestions to make it feel more Xen-like.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2014 15:07 

Character(s): CaptainCarnage, Mm3, Mm4, Fiction
Looks real good, all i can say is that i liked it, liked the graphs and stuff, but i wouldnt use the purple animation for a low lvl spin, maybe a higher lvl one to symbolize it. Anyway id be willing to test the shit out of that, i played PV, and i was there when it became Evidyon i was with KarlGluck when he started changing it and i helped him implement balance in pvp and the spells and came with tips that almost made it a playable game 35 players ingame at most.
you have done a good job so far, id be willing to help you try out shit, my only skill though is playing and giving feedback and maybe ideas of questline and characters etc.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2014 08:45 

Right on. Well I restarted from scratch with much cleaner code and 1 additional programmer friend. It's less complete than the previous version, but the code is easier to scale the game up with.

Last edited by TomGSX on 10 Nov 2014 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2014 16:19 

TomGSX wrote:
Right on. Well I restarted from scratch with much cleaner code and 1 additional programmer friend. It's less complete than the previous version, but the code is easier to scale the game up with.

DEMO HERE

My browser would not load that, said that it was an internal error in Google, anyway id be willing to write up some storyline/quests stories if you were interested i really like that aspect of games and the fact that one can actually make questing/grinding fun by just adding some storyline.

One of the main reason XEN was good is the fact that it was extremely fast paced in pvp, talking splitt seconds of fail could lose you good gear, and that it was easy to play but hard to master, if you just keep the animations simple and non Korean i am sure it will be a smashing hit, once you get a decent demo up, maybe kickstart the shit out of it.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2014 17:44 

I was probably in the process of uploading a new build. I'm going to make a few more changes and upload another one soon. I will add the new link to the original post and provide some notes a bit later today.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014 02:45 

Character(s): General Curry
pretty cool

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2015 22:25 

Character(s): Syphrux
This is really nice, hopefully you keep working on it, I'd be interested to see where this goes.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2015 16:06 

Been a while, took a break. Starting over again with overall better coding. Currently using Unity's built in networking system (not completely authoritative) and will be likely be noticeably laggy if the host is far away, i.e. Europe to USA.

I will be online for a bit if anyone jumps on soon to roam around or chat it up.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2015 07:07 

Character(s): No Longer Playing
It actually looks really good. A bit slow on the movement but i'm sure that will be changed later. Has a very Diablo feel to it as far as how it looks. Maybe change the minimize and fullscreen to the same button and have esc close all menus.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2015 17:29 

Thank you. As for the fullscreen toggle - it is a webplayer limitation. The game will most likely be built as a standalone once I get further along with it. The webplayer is just easier for testing (but has browser limitations, such as the ESC key forcing the webplayer to be minimized). And I am still working on this and one other project at the moment. Will edit OP for each update.

PostPosted: 06 May 2015 07:15 
Pina Smuncher

How is this going? I just found the thread again. Hadn't lurked this way in a while

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2015 13:04 

Character(s): tfc
any screenies?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015 15:00 

Tested it.. guess its long since u updated it but it looks really good dude..