Xentales

Talk about stuff, and if you must, about Xenimus
It is currently 20 Oct 2017 02:49

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Does this post rock?
Yes, Eh is the best ranger of all time! 72%  72%  [ 83 ]
No, rangers eat sweaty undies. 28%  28%  [ 33 ]
Total votes : 116
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2004 21:58 
The master Ranger is here to help!

SKILL POINTS

Ok, Ej is a screwball, he doesn't realize that he gave rangers like 800 places to put skill points on, and gives them the same amount of skill points as other classes with half that many places to put points on.

Skill points are VERY important to get right, I screwed up big time, and its going to take about 5 lvls to fix it lol...

My list is not in order of importance, so don't go adding them in the order of the list I make here, Ill tell you when to add them at the end!

LETHAL - Ok, if your a ranger and you don't have lethal, delete your char because:
a)Your a dumbass
or
b)Your a crappy bow ranger hahahaha.

LETHAL IS A MUST! You will never take down anyone without lethal, you will get your ass beat down in the ground. The fact is, rangers don't have minor, tiron, medius, dirus ETC hits, every 10 lvls we don't get some new upgrade that makes our normal hits stronger, we get a half ass, molested to hell, att run that when you try to use it, makes you run AWAY from the target... So, therefore, a fig thats lvl 40, and a ranger thats lvl 40 will have a huge imbalance in damage, the fig might be doing 350 a hit average with spin and the ranger will be doing 200 dmg with his hits. To make up for this we get lethal! Lethal will effectivly double your hits, sometimes even more, sometimes maybe less. Im not sure about if you have more points in the skill, the more dmg multiplier you get, but I do know that the more skill points you have in it, the more chance you have to get lethal. I knew the calculations once, it was someting like :

Points in lethal/169 or 269 = your chance to get lethal

So the more points the better!

Lethal is the only way your going to suceed as a hitting ranger. MAX IT.

You are going to get either 1 or 2 points added to the max points you can have on your lethal everytime you get another point on agil.

Bow Masteries, Bow skill - I don't give a damn if your not going to be a crappy bow ranger, YOU NEED BOW MASTERIES AND SKILL if your going to lvl, unless of course if you want to be a damn idiot, and try to lvl using a weapon. It used to be possible when you could hit monsters, I did lvl 1-31 mainly using my melle weapon, because multi used to be half assed for hunting. But then Ej decides, Hey! rangers are the only class not to have something with 100% chance to hit, im going to take advatage of this, and screw them over, by making monsters so hard to hit, a lvl 44 ranger with 43 agil cant even hit an animus with the first 4 swings!

GOOD ONE EJ!

So, I stoped lvling untill the new multi came out. ( I wasnt 44 back then, I was 31, but anwyays, I still cant hit them, and It was damn near imposible back then)

BUT ANYWAYS, you could be a real badass, and spend 2 years dispelling every monster you meet so you can hit him, and finaly gain lvl 24, or you can follow my adivce, get 15 int

GET FULL POINTS ON BOWS
GET FULL POINTS ON BOW MASTERIES

Remember when I said i screwed up on skill points and it will take 5 lvls to fix? I thought "Hey, bow skills probably don't matter, im going to put only 25 on bows, and then get 25 on masteries, and save like 40 extra skill points for something else, instead of like 65 on bows!" WRONG, I lost like 100 dmg a arrow, I know kill pix in 4 arrows instead of 3, and my chance to hit on the bow is down. I lvl slower now, then I did at lvl 39.

So, everytime you lvl, your max points on any weapon will be raised by one above the limit of 25. Therefor a lvl 25 will have 50 points to put on a weapon of choice.

Get your bow maxed for ease in lvling, and make sure you have 15 int, so you can have 25 bow masteries!

Ferocious - Damn damn damn damn damn, the best thing is a ferocious lethal hit!!!!! fer does if im correct 33% more dmg then your normal hit. You get a lethal that does 450 dmg, you get a fer hit on top of that, CONGRADULATIONS SONNY, you did a 600 dmg hit, and the mage your attacking is about to die. I can't tell you how funny it is to kill a lvl 49 wizard, or hell, even a 54 ( I think thats what lvl captain is) in 3 hits when they are wearing a omin leather. It makes me want to cry with tears of joy. I love hearing, WTF, your first hit did half my hp! Get 25 in this skill sooner or later.

Short Swords - Unless your a rich little bastard, and have like a Dirus sword, that you just HAVE to use, PUT YOUR SKILLS IN SHORT SWORDS. Hell trade that tender sword for a diabolic rapier, its worth it. Other then bows, short swords should be the only other weapon skill you should have points in because you need to ration your precious little babies. Short swords have bonus' to lethal, and they are the rangers weapon of choice! The only other weapon you might use is a dispell axe. Short swords are the way to go.

Weapon tactics and Masteries - Unless you are a complete fool, and screwed your stats up so completly bad, you should only need this to fight fighters or pallies. If you are missing mages that are your level and you are not stupified (yes, even I miss mages when I get stupified, which is why I hate doom, I could give two asses about poison or disp, but stupify!!! theres no cure but disping yourself) then go ask Ej to make your char into a really npc that lvl 6's need to kill for some ref gear quest.

Fighters and Palies spin. Spin is from the devil, it is retarted. Not only does it give added damage, and added levels, it is fast, 100% to hit, has a range, AND IT BLOCKS. Normally, when two people engage in hand to hand, the chance to block is reduced ALOT, which is perfectly fine, your trying to swing your weapon as hard as you can at the other person, your not going to devote to much attention to trying to block too. When you stand around you get a bonus to blocking, because your not trying to hit him, your trying to defend yourself, so far so good! Somewhere along the line Ej's logic went down the shitter. According to him, it would be a good idea to make someone swinging around in a wild circle have a higher chance of blocking too! This fighter must have amazing skills, while he has his back turned and is flinging his weapon around like hes a damn tetherball pole, he pulls his shield behind his head to block the aimed, concentrated attack from his enemy who is trying to hit him in the back! INCREDIBLE! He just did a complete block without even looking, then sucsesfully conected his hit aswell! Well screw that bullshit. I was having trouble hitting spinners till my agil was in the 40s. Thats with full weapon masteries, a weapon with +5 to hit and 7 proped, 7 prop gloves, and 60+ points on short swords! Wow, all the fighter has to do to block is hit the spin key, which requires no skill points. So in Ej's logic, I use 100+ skill points so I don't miss AS MUCH PFFT. Anyways, complaining won't do anything, so just add points in these skills otherwise your completly screwed.

Read - Start studying lazy bastard!

Pick lock - I've gotten my best gear from wooden chests.

This is completly usless, delete your char if you have points in this.

Faster Movement - I have no clue if this even works. I have 25 points on it, just incase it does, because fighters and pallies are cheap little asses, they walk and spin at the same time, and even though you have like 15 more agil then them, they still get more hits because you cant constantly be hitting them like they are to you. This skill would be more uselfull if it counted as a way to be multiplied by your agil, then that determines your walking speed boost. You probably won't want this skill, cause I couldn't tell too much of a difference if any in my walking speed.

Def Tactics and Masteries - Ok, unless your goal in xen is to be the master of hand to hand, and go out and eliminate all other rangers, then don't put skills in this. Rangers will be the only class that will ever hand to hand you, and other then in hand to hand it's worthless. You don't need to head my advice though, go put your points in Def tactics and whipe out the Xenimus minority! I have faith in you!

Hide Skill - One of the best reasons to be a ranger, this thing is really fun. They can't see you, and you can see them, I like it like that, its useful for listening in on conversations that you shouldn't normaly be listening too, stalking people, staying hidden from people so they don't attack you, and pking mages because you sneak up, hit em a few times and they die. Theres other fun things to do with it too, and it is REALLY smart to get 25 on this.

Ok So, first you will want to get your bow and masteries maxed, at lvl 12, start working on maxing your lethal too. Get atleast 25 points on shorties early too if you want to be a real baddass and fight those other lvl 15's! later on, when your ready to start kicking ass, get 25 on weapon tactics and masteries. Get ferocious and hide somewhere along the lines too.

There you have it! Thats what I would do, and unless I missed something obvious, don't listen to what other people say because I am right.

<<Edit>>
*my two cents*

Just played a ranger at level 31 with stats of 28 29 27 16 15
He can hunt fricking awesome in HDs, I can take a good 7 hits from them with 1.4k HP, but I can't kill anything with melee, I do good damage, take good damage, but I'm too slow to kill anything (yes, even with omni veloc and red pots)
HIGH AGIL=NECESSITY

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2004 22:20 
Wow, way to not spam. Nice post, and good information, but I AM 1337ER THAN YOU! P|-|34R |\/|3|-| |\/|4D R4|\|G3R 5K1LL2!

Yes, I am a pupil of Eh's. We shall conquer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2004 22:27 
Awesome faq mate, We should work together on a fighter faq, I go via the popular build old school build and I have an experimental build Im working on In my head that involves really low cons like 12-16 cons and 15/15 int/wis with Ungodly Agility for uber fast spins and super fast melee and damn good hit to miss raito and High Strength for damage and to help make up for the low cons hp loss

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2004 22:41 
Throw something together, let me add/edit it, I'll send it back, let you add/edit more, and we'll do that until it's done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2004 23:25 
what about for stats eh =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2004 00:20 
15 int, I wouldn't go above 45 agil, or 21 cons (if that much, even). The rest would go on strength to make non-lethal hits not suck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2004 00:55 
awesome Ill add ya to my msn list, Ill work up the stats for the agility strength fig and my old school and popular builds and let ya see em if your on msn sometime

Post subject: dude
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2004 01:23 
Dude you are my hero

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2004 17:39 
fighters own you, clerics own you, mages own you.

Post subject: Hater...
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2004 18:16 
Your just a hater cause Eh owns u

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2004 19:16 
No, he's just a hater because I robbed his ass blind a month or two ago. Very Happy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2004 19:12 
man that was a seriously detailed faq! gj.....i got a lvl 32 ranger (russian roullette) and he is such a bad build but in his hay day he was a good char simply because i got multi the hard way having to lvl in ogres till 22 or w/e it is Shocked but bow rangers suck anyway meelee rules

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2004 22:38 
im leveling my ranger Mr Overeasy by this guide my stats now are like

17 34 17 15 15

at lvl 13

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2004 18:14 
Add 1 more strength if you want to be able to use mystic scale, then you'll have 39 agility by 20. Add cons to 21 or 25, then strength to 25.
Then put 45 agil, and you can choose either more cons, or all strength.

Edit: You don't NEED more cons, but that's what I'd do.

Post subject: .
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2004 08:19 
whata bout places to power level at . not ogres or east good places

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2004 17:49 
Once you get 14-16 (somewhere in that range), you can start buying masses of hit amulets and killing supers (I highly suggest having a lightning bow with at least 2 damages propped onto it, or about half of them won't die in 1 shot.) You'll die every once in a while, but the exp is well worth it. (You get about 100k exp per 255 hit amulets)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2004 20:27 
bow rangers suck unless your at a town packed with people rangers rule, the only thing that can beat a good ranger with a blood rapier is a fighter with spin

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2004 14:20 
...Or almost anything, rangers can't take any damage at all until the mid-high 20's, unless you stack them with VTs, and wear a shield in PVP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2004 00:37 
since you say rangers don't really need defensive skills (barring pvp w/ other rangers) which gloves are best for rangers, gloves of skill or gloves of strength?
(I assume ranges don't need rages, because of thier agility, correct me if I"m wrong).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2004 03:52 
Well, I'd use skill gloves, since they make you hit and block more, and they make your multi shot hit more.

Rage gloves would be excellent in PVP, because they add a very good chance to hit extremely fast twice in a row, and if you're concerned about your hits being blocked, just use hit amulets, they aren't very expensive.

Gloves of strength would be good to raise your damage a little bit, but lethal hits are so strong anyways, it wouldn't really matter.

Rangers attacking is more about speed and lethals than hitting hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2004 14:36 
Ok, Last question (maybe)

I have my skills figured out, stats fiigured out (mostly, still reading this thread), gloves/weapons/gear figured out.

but what about ring set?

now I have:
1 animus
5 salbs

I'm thinking I want a VT or two, but still want salbs to make up for hp. Don't really need la, unless I use multi alost, but I can use blue potions.

what ring set do you recommend, or do u even have a recommendation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2004 15:52 
I always used 2 animus, 2 la's, and 2 salbs. I suppose you could take an LA off, and replace it with a VT. Once you get higher on a fig-type, salbs aren't really worth the small amount of HP they add.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2004 16:56 
Sweet eh! I love your faq its cool to read.

Just for kicks, what do you think of a jeloc-build ranger that is a mix between those freaky int rangers and a normal one?

Stats are:

xx

Str will be in the 50's with Jeloc @ 36, or a close 48 without. HP is about 2.1k w/ 8 bases. I've heard from older theives (STEVE-O comes to mind) that once you reach 60 str you deal about 800 a hit, and anywhere from 1.5k to 2k with lethal. I realise that going above 62 str makes you deal 5 damage though Razz Ej's weird system.

What do you think Eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2004 16:00 
Just for the record, I'm not Eh. If you have a question for him, his board name is Mervak The Mighty.
I don't think going above 62 str makes you do 5 dmg, but I wouldn't go over 45 str and 45 agil, after that you could decide to put more cons or intel.

Post subject: SELF PROCLAIMED
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2004 04:39 
this post is TERRIBLE!

anyone listening to half this advice u give is FOOKED!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2004 07:08 
Yet you're the only one who has said this...hmmm really makes you think who's the "terrible, fooked advice giver".

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2004 10:11 
Kilowatt, if you don't agree, then I propose you...

Post your own advice here, for readers to compare, then make a pool and see who's advice is better...

Post subject: lol not!
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2004 16:56 
and give away all the secrets?
no way!
id rather xen be full of bad rangers made by EH.
lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2004 17:04 
Very funny...
I've seen Eh kill every mage in game, and he NEVER carries more than 5 meds, 5 trans, 5 reds, and 5 vbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2004 10:01 
Yeah Ive seen lower lvl Mages drop Kilowatt. =/

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2004 18:27 
Ouch...a mage should never own a ranger.
Except in the case of me and Animal. Smile

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2005 16:30 
after reading this amazing post and decide u should build a ranger and ur fairly rich and want to trade some gear i have the ultimate l18 ranger set:) 7p animus m scale (steals mp so u can multi alot) 7p m or l helm, 7p gl of stre or skill, 7p br, animus ring, 6p arc bow -1 speed. COuld be trading the scale soon though so hurry up and offer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2005 03:13 
1) Animus doesn't steal MP, it deals damage to it.
2) I have a ranger
3) I wouldn't want a bow missing any props, they are all very important
4) I'm not rich at all

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2005 14:13 
I skipped everything everyone said. But this post rocks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2005 15:44 
bam: skifree rocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2005 10:41 
I have a ranger.. Plorp is lvl 18 and the right guy in my signature, pretty muc owns everyone with 500+ damage per arrow Smile

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2005 00:55 
I'm lvl 17 with 500 HP, and 17 cons.
Your build is far inferior.
Bows are terrible, 1 on 1 anyone your level, and you'll get destroyed.

MORE EXP?
You get minimal experience increases.

MORE DMG?
You don't need the massive overkill of more than 15 intel.
With 15 intel, 40 bow skills, 25 archery mastery, and 2 dmg props on my L bow, I do as much, or more than a level 34 fig using maximus spin, gloves of str, and a 7p SOB.

KILLER DMG?
That isn't needed, hitting fast, hitting hard, and being able to fight well 1-on-1, not near a sq is better.

Str doesn't add any bow damage, I know this for a fact.

Listen to a real ranger? Like who, Boxtar, the lvl 30+ intel ranger who can't kill anyone near his level except with 5 other people behind them to shoot multi arrows at? Thanks for the advice, tips.

All of your points were taken into consideration when writing this guide, and a strong bow-using ranger who can't melee worth hell isn't nearly as good as a good bow-using+excellent melee ranger, end of story.

/rant

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2005 11:46 
Hey im gonna use all the advise i got from this post and make a high level female ranger seeing as how there arent many around but ur advise sounds solid enough thx man

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2005 17:19 
All the high lvl female rangers are evil deadly pks! Good luck with her. Smile

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next