Xentales

Talk about stuff, and if you must, about Xenimus
It is currently 09 Jul 2020 09:29

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019 08:05 

Character(s): Weed wiz
So that guy creating the private xps wouldn't give me the files that he leeched (i know right Lol) but i managed to source them on my own. Feel free to download guys. This has a bunch of unity compatible models from old xenimus games, also has custom .MDJ exporter tool which you can export any models from any old version of xenimus upto a certain point (as EJ made changes to the custom model format later on). This also exports animations/textures etc. Everything you need to make your own lil xenimus game in unity.

I did not make this, only sharing as i hate it when leechers try and horde the goods.

Spoiler:

https://github.com/Anthonyreeder/MDJPublic

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019 13:33 

Character(s): Syphrux
This is awesome, well done!

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019 14:04 

I've never even spoke to you before, you sent me a PM which I ignored because I didn't want to deal with the hassle. Shitty of me? Probably. But glad you found the git with the models, didn't know they were public. Looking forward to any other xenclones that come from this.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019 18:08 

I sent him a question too but I asked it in the thread after I saw it went read/unanswered and Andy posted the answer.

Thank you very much for posting this. This might end up being what Volucris could have been. Edit: Oh it's by Karl, the maker of Volucris, go figure!

Works like a charm! Download unity hub then import the project. You'll get a warning that it's not a supported version. Download 2017.3.1 from:
https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

Via the unity hub button. Then the project opens.

Haven't tried converting it to the latest unity.

edit:
Hah, there's a "Volucris" Logo in the original Xenimus logo style in the files.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019 21:29 

Street Fighter wrote:
I sent him a question too but I asked it in the thread after I saw it went read/unanswered and Andy posted the answer.

Thank you very much for posting this. This might end up being what Volucris could have been. Edit: Oh it's by Karl, the maker of Volucris, go figure!

Works like a charm! Download unity hub then import the project. You'll get a warning that it's not a supported version. Download 2017.3.1 from:

Via the unity hub button. Then the project opens.

Haven't tried converting it to the latest unity.

edit:
Hah, there's a "Volucris" Logo in the original Xenimus logo style in the files.

Arent you the guy who called me immoral for using EJs models?

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019 22:54 

Did you base your project on this tool and example scene?

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019 23:51 

Street Fighter wrote:
Did you base your project on this tool and example scene?

No. The xen models came after I started the project viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95210. But using the models was a big part of what motivated me to continue developing. Without them I would have given up long ago.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2019 13:28 

Hi all,

Anyone else who wants to try to use this example, here's how you upgrade it to the latest version of Unity.

First, to get it working as-is:

Download unity hub then import the project.
You'll get a warning that it's not a supported version. 2017.3.1 is only available in the archive.
Download 2017.3.1 from:

There's a button to install it in Unity.

Now, in Unity confirm the project opens and runs as expected.

To upgrade:
In Unity Hub there's a version column. Click the arrow next to this project and select the latest Unity.

You will be met with several errors.

MDJPostProcessor.cs has a few legacy parts that are now deprecated.

Code:
PrefabUtility.ReplacePrefab (go, prefab, ReplacePrefabOptions.ConnectToPrefab);

Replace this with:
Code:
PrefabUtility.SaveAsPrefabAssetAndConnect(go, outputAssetPrefabPath, InteractionMode.AutomatedAction);

You need to do this in two places. Line 429 and line 613.

This actually does 2 steps in one and gets rid of the need to create an empty prefab, which is also something that will give your next warning. You don't need to create the empty prefab anymore.

Comment out this part:
Code:
//var prefab = PrefabUtility.CreateEmptyPrefab (outputAssetPrefabPath);

You need to do this in two places. Near lines 415 and 596.

The final error you may get is with a package included. At least I did. If you have any errors like:
Code:
Error: Copying assembly from 'Temp/<something>.dll' to 'Library/ScriptAssemb

Go to window->package manager and either remove/reimport the package, or try upgrading the package. Upgrading the package worked for me.

p.s.
I would put this up in source control/github but I don't feel comfortable doing that. If someone else goes through these steps and wants to put it on github feel free!

I feel weird that this project does not exist publicly on Karl's github, it seems like a private project that was leaked.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2020 11:15 

Character(s): Weed wiz
^ Nice update. I haven't got time to look at it atm but if you want to clone the project and push the update and i'll merge it in.

I emailed karl asking for something specific and he gave me the whole export toool. I didn't actually ask him if he mind if i leak but it was public on volucris until half the site went down so figured he wouldn't much care. Besides its all copyrighted/taken from xen anyway at the end of the day so i dont think anyone really owns any 'rights' to it.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2020 21:29 

Street Fighter wrote:
Hi all,

Anyone else who wants to try to use this example, here's how you upgrade it to the latest version of Unity.

First, to get it working as-is:

Download unity hub then import the project.
You'll get a warning that it's not a supported version. 2017.3.1 is only available in the archive.
Download 2017.3.1 from:

There's a button to install it in Unity.

Now, in Unity confirm the project opens and runs as expected.

To upgrade:
In Unity Hub there's a version column. Click the arrow next to this project and select the latest Unity.

You will be met with several errors.

MDJPostProcessor.cs has a few legacy parts that are now deprecated.

Code:
PrefabUtility.ReplacePrefab (go, prefab, ReplacePrefabOptions.ConnectToPrefab);

Replace this with:
Code:
PrefabUtility.SaveAsPrefabAssetAndConnect(go, outputAssetPrefabPath, InteractionMode.AutomatedAction);

You need to do this in two places. Line 429 and line 613.

This actually does 2 steps in one and gets rid of the need to create an empty prefab, which is also something that will give your next warning. You don't need to create the empty prefab anymore.

Comment out this part:
Code:
//var prefab = PrefabUtility.CreateEmptyPrefab (outputAssetPrefabPath);

You need to do this in two places. Near lines 415 and 596.

The final error you may get is with a package included. At least I did. If you have any errors like:
Code:
Error: Copying assembly from 'Temp/<something>.dll' to 'Library/ScriptAssemb

Go to window->package manager and either remove/reimport the package, or try upgrading the package. Upgrading the package worked for me.

p.s.
I would put this up in source control/github but I don't feel comfortable doing that. If someone else goes through these steps and wants to put it on github feel free!

I feel weird that this project does not exist publicly on Karl's github, it seems like a private project that was leaked.

Followed the steps and I still get errors.

Assets/MDJ/MdjPostprocessor.cs(29,36): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `AssetPostprocessor' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Error building Player because scripts had compiler errors

Build completed with a result of 'Failed'
UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()

UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+BuildMethodException: 2 errors
at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+DefaultBuildMethods.BuildPlayer (BuildPlayerOptions options) [0x00234] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:190
at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.CallBuildMethods (Boolean askForBuildLocation, BuildOptions defaultBuildOptions) [0x0007f] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:96
UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2020 18:55 

Character(s): Desmertes
1) Does anyone understand how MDJPosBank works?

If I open the project fresh from source control and inspect the BAUUL or DOODML prefabs they correctly have Animation data and when playing the scene they animate as expected.

However, if I inspect the 'Humanoid' or 'Bauul' MdjPosBank objects that come included and try to Reload Poses everything breaks. First thing that seems wrong is that the Skinned Mesh field is set as Missing / none, despite having all 47 poses (DOODA1 - CAST3) in the array of poses for Humanoid. If I click 'Reload Poses' it then breaks all animations, including the existing ones for BAUUL and DOODML which were working. Only fix is to reload the project from source.

Looking through the code it looks like it's trying to programmatically create animation clips for the selected Mesh and package them into a Prefab, but doesn't appear to be working.. Any insight on this tool would be wonderful! Btw, this is after updating the obsolete Prefab api calls as mentioned above.

2) Also, I will be publishing a boiler plate Unity package that expands on this and includes the Xenimus font and chat system, Xenimus standard and casting cursors, sounds, etc., along with click-to-cast player movement & spell casting system (using magic spell fx pack for the VFX and currently have div tueri, ignis adgredi, animus agredi, trans, reditus), character stats, key bindings, etc. I will be adding networking and combat next. Expect to see a public github repo soon if anyone wants to expand on this. I will be regularly contributing but also seeing what the Unreal engine is capable of.

I'd record a new video to show latest progress but I'm currently on my Windows box and still working out some kinks w/ source control for Unity across mac and windows, but here is an older build to give you guys an idea: